At Night time: Because you tried Veritas last night time, now you can take a look at certainly one of my different favorites: Bona Fide Mexican cafe. In the event you’re from California/Mexico you could not take pleasure in this Mexican meals as a lot, but when you have been touring and could use a Mexican repair, this food is basically good. Should you’d like something local again, head to Woman Pipi (go early as a result of there could also be a line!) or sit right down to a romantic alleyway meal anyplace in previous town.
After testing the town yesterday, right now it’s time to see why individuals from everywhere in the world flock to swim within the waters of the Adriatic. In the present day leap on a ship tour of the Elaphite islands, which are beautiful islands just outdoors the town’s port. You will be able to discover tiny island cities, swim in crystal clear waters, and perhaps discover even more beaches and caves. In case you have time, you can too go sea kayaking, Recreation of Thrones’ing, or more.
Observe: You’ll need to buy online/ decide up ferry tickets to get Korcula tomorrow, at the moment. You should purchase them prematurely on-line or get them from a store referred to as Travel Nook in port Gruž. As we speak, it’s a good suggestion to get them if/whenever you depart on your Elaphite islands tour from port Gruž, which is where the ferries depart from.
There are two totally different kinds of Elaphite islands tours, choose which sounds greatest to you:
Dinner: At present grab some takeaway after an extended dayor select from the advisable eating places above.
When you aren’t too tired, there’s a stunning town referred to as Cavtat about 30 minutes south of Dubrovnik. They name it ‘Dubrovnik’s Monaco’ and it has some fancy resorts, nice restaurants, and delightful buying. You will get there by bus route 10 or by ferry boat from the previous port on the town.
Earlier than you allow Dubrovnik: Get ready to check out, and spend your morning in Dubrovnik catching up on any actions you missed, exploring Lokrum Island, or enjoyable on Banje Seashore.
You’ll take the ferry from Dubrovnik to Korčula (korch-uh-luh). Grab ferry tickets online or the day before you go while in port Gruz. We took the 4pm ferry which worked nicely. There’s additionally a really early one and a late one, perhaps more depending on the time of yr.
I might advocate staying in or near the previous town because you gained’t have much time here.
Airbnb – There aren’t as many airbnb’s in Korčula, particularly for greater teams, but there are alternatives in the event you guide early. We stayed on this one and had a fantastic experience (with 5 of us).
Hostel – Hostel Korčula is probably the most well-rated and central
Lodge – Lodge Korčula is central with a terrific view
What to Do in Korcula
Korčula known as a ‘mini Dubrovnik’ because it is equally an previous walled city on the water. It’s quite small, so this afternoon and tomorrow morning ought to be enough to discover. They say that Korcula is the start place of Marco Polo, and you may visit the Marco Polo home (the place he’s rumored to have been born), a Marco Polo museum, and tons of Marco Polo present outlets. Should you’d like extra back story and information about Korcula and an entire information, verify my Tour Information’s Super Information to Korcula linked under.
- Once you arrive, drop your luggage and get ready to discover! I like to recommend at the moment that you simply take a look at a cocktail bar referred to as Massimo’s, which is a repurposed 14th century fortress where you climb up a ladder to get to the roof. It often opens at 5.
- For sundown, climb the Bell tower in the primary sq. of St Marko. It prices about 30kn, and is a one-way spiral staircase up the tower that has visitors lights to dictate when to go up and when to wait for individuals to return down! It’s one of the best view of the town and a fantastic sundown spot.
- Sooner or later, be certain that to take a look at the hilariously fascinating Marco Polo museum. It’s right outdoors the previous city partitions, and is comprised of some totally different rooms with elaborate scenes/mannequins laid out to inform the story of a special part of Marco’s life/journey. It often closes late (9pm) so going after dinner as we speak just isn’t out of the query (that’s what we did).
The place to Eat in Korčula
Dinner in Korčula will fall sometime between the visiting the bell tower and the museum, or any time you get hungry! There are a couple of choices:
Kavana No. 1: That is in all probability the most effective place to eat within the city, and has a tremendous view whether or not it’s mild out or not. It’s a little bit of a climb to get to, but this restaurant is up on a hill overlooking the previous town. If you want to attempt one thing authentic, order the meat peka (meat slow-cooked on scorching coals beneath a bell). It’s completely delish. You may need to pre-order it when you have a couple of individuals though, since it takes a number of hours of preparation. Just name within the afternoon.
Tramonto: This is additionally another superb sundown view, with a terrace dealing with west. You’ll be able to seize cocktails here if in case you have time before dinner (it’s the second greatest sundown view), or they have some superb dishes (the beefsteak Tramonto is one in every of my favorites).
Non-compulsory: If You Have More Time:
Keep another/a couple of more days and spend a while wind surfing, enjoyable on the shore, or exploring other places around the island comparable to Lumbarda.
Examine if there is a ‘Moreška’ dance throughout your stay. This can be a conventional sword dance that reenacts a battle that the Korculans had with the Ottoman turks within the medieval occasions. It’s a huge a part of Korcula tradition and a spectacle to see.
- 1 Balkan Itinerary Day 4: Korčula to Hvar
- 2 Balkan Itinerary Day 5: Hvar to Cut up
- 3 Balkan Itinerary Day 6: Cut up to Zadar
- 4 Balkans Street Journey Day 7: Zadar to Plitvice Lakes to Istria
- 5 Balkans Street Trip Day Eight: Motovun/Istria
- 6 Balkans Street Journey Day 9: Motovun to Predjama Citadel to Ljubljana
- 7 Balkans Street Trip Day 10: Ljubljana to Lake Bled/Lake Bohinj
- 8 Balkans Street Trip Day 11: Slovenia to Mostar (+ Makarska!)
- 9 Balkans Street Trip Day 12: Mostar Sights + Surrounds
- 10 Balkans Street Journey Day 13: Bosnian Highlights to Kotor, Montenegro
- 11 Balkans Street Trip Day 14: Discover Kotor
- 12 Balkans Street Trip Day 15: Montenegro Street Journey to Budva
- 13 Balkans Street Trip Day 16: Budva
- 14 Balkans Street Trip Day 17: Again to Dubrovnik
Balkan Itinerary Day 4: Korčula to Hvar
Before you allow: Korčula: At this time you’ll get up in Korčula and take the time to go have breakfast on the japanese shore of town, where there are a great deal of eating places within the shade of timber overlooking the water. Subsequent, stroll up the (western -the course of the sunset last night time!) coast away from city – this is the perfect place to swim.
You’ll move by some rickety wooded docks shaded by palm timber along the street. Ultimately you’ll encounter a pebbly seashore the place you’ll be able to lay out and have a swim within the crystal clear water while gazing at an ideal view of the previous walled city.
Getting from Korcula to Hvar
You’ll take another ferry as we speak, from the identical place, to Hvar. I recommend the 1pm ferry so you’ve a morning in Korcula to swim. The ferry takes about an hour.
Where to Keep in Hvar
Airbnb: We stayed in this one (6 visitors) but I like to recommend this one for smaller groups/central.
Hostel: White Rabbit Hostel
Lodge: Lodge Adriana or Lodge Amfora
What to Do in Hvar
Hvar is another beautiful island recognized for its nightlife. There shall be options for each historical past and partying at this time, and enjoying Hvar’s great meals. I also have a super-guide to Hvar, so when you’d like extra in-depth information click under.
- Spanjola Fortress – When you enjoy the scenic ferry journey, arrive in Hvar, and drop your luggage (may additionally be a good suggestion to seize your Cut up ferry tickets for those who don’t have them already), it’s time to take a look at one other fortress. The stroll to Spanjola is about 15 minutes from the town, and is likely one of the greatest views in Croatia. Pay about 30-40kn to enter the fortress and revel within the views and fascinating info to study this website, which was built in the 1550’s.
- Adriana Rooftop Bar – Okay guys, this is my secret spot that I might by no means tell my tour teams about. Don’t inform! There’s a stunning bar on the highest story of lodge Adriana, right in the port. It’s an excellent place to loosen up and have a espresso or cocktail before heading to Hula Hula.
- Buying + Markets – There are also numerous markets on the town that sell souvenirs, jewelry, and plenty of lavender, which is grown on the island. Get yourself some lavender oil/scent/cleaning soap for an genuine souvenir.
- Hula Hula Seashore Cocktail Bar – Hula Hula is likely one of the greatest bars in Croatia. It’s the right place to go a number of hours before sunset, and will get crazier as the solar nears the horizon. It’s a cocktail bar which you could swim at, right on the water. They have blended strawberry daiquiris, pina coladas, and peach margaritas on tap, so take pleasure in a number of of those (or minimize proper to the chase and get the 1L model!) earlier than leaping into the sea and having fun with the music.
Where to Eat in Hvar
After Hula Hula, select from one in every of my recommendations under/in my Hvar Tremendous Guide for dinner. Hvar has AMAZING food so it will be good to choose correctly or spend a couple of more days.
Spice Thai Food/Burgers in the Primary Square: If you need one thing a bit totally different, there’s a incredible burger place proper subsequent to a Thai restaurant in the primary sq. of Hvar city. They’re each owned by the same individual and are each very reliable.
Black Pepper: Black Pepper is an attractive restaurant in an alleyway of Hvar that focuses on trendy and artistic twists on basic Croatian dishes. You’ll be able to’t go improper here!
Dalmatino: Dalmatino can also be right in the stone alleys of the town and is understood for being one of the guess restaurants in town, with extra conventional dishes and in addition totally different flavors of Croatian rakija to sample with your meal.
At Night time: Hvar is understood for having the perfect nightlife in southern Croatia. If there’s a spot to have an evening out, this might be it (alongside with Dubrovnik). After dinner I recommend getting ready and hitting up a couple of bars round 8-9pm, if that’s your thing. If not, loosen up with a drink in the square or along the harbor and watch the night time come to life!
- Kiva Bar is notorious in Hvar. It gets really crowded around 9 so make sure that to get in early! Anticipate scrumptious cocktails in some small crowded rooms in an alley, ‘tequila boom boom’s’ going round (thank me later), and all the attainable singalong songs.
- Sidro Bar – house of one of the best espresso martini I’ve ever had. No joke. Also some fun singalongs and other nice cocktails, however outdoor on a patio.
- Carpe Diem: this can be a famous membership on an island. There are free water taxis that trip to an island off Hvar’s coast all night time every night time, and it’s some of the unique golf equipment in Europe.
If You Have More Time:
Lease a automotive/vespa scooters and discover the island, lease a ship to discover the encompassing Pakleni islands, have a seashore day, or take a 30 minute bus to discover to oldest city in Croatia, Stari Grad, and taste some Hvar wine.
Balkan Itinerary Day 5: Hvar to Cut up
Earlier than you go: Right now you’ll wake up and spend a morning in Hvar earlier than heading to Cut up. Either loosen up earlier than your ferry (I like to recommend the 1pm) or head down to at least one of a few small seashores to have a morning dip. Leisurely get your stuff collectively, have lunch should you want (Vita Well being Meals Bar has good coffees), and head to the early afternoon ferry.
Getting from Hvar to Cut up
You’ll take your final ferry right now, from the same place the previous one dropped you off. I like to recommend the 1pm Cut up ferry to have a last swim in Hvar before you go. The ferry takes about an hour.
Where to Keep in Cut up
Airbnb – Most important Sq. House (we stayed right here)/Silver Luxury House for smaller teams
Hostel – Booze & Snooze (for central + celebration)
Lodge – Palace Judita Heritage Lodge
What to Do in Cut up
Cut up is the capital of the Croatian coast. Although a big metropolis, Cut up’s middle is sort of small, relaxed, and filled with historical past. I even have a selected guide to Cut up in case you are interested about reading about issues to do in Cut up in more depth.
- Cut up Previous Town – Once you get situated in Cut up, it’s time to explore the previous city. But This isn’t just any previous city; its truly a city constructed out of an historic Roman emperor’s (Diocletian’s) palace, which was inbuilt 305AD. The town middle is within the shape of a sq. as a result of its been constructed from this previous palace, and nowadays the alleyways of town are outlets, eating places, bars, gelaterias, and extra.
- Cellars: These are the cellars underneath the palace which still retain their unique type from a couple of thousand years in the past. You’ll be able to explore them and study their history.
- Peristyle: The primary square, the place the emperor used to deal with his individuals.
- Bell Tower: Built much later within the 1700’s, however with a tremendous view over city (climb up for 30ish kuna).
- Vestibule: Typically has an acapella group singing inside because of superb acoustics
- Museums: Cut up Metropolis Museum, Ethnographic Museum, Museum of Effective Art
- Gelato: there are lots of good places on the town
- Takeaway pizza/pastry: Croatia and particularly Cut up is understood for its low cost takeaway food
- Marjan Hill/Bell Tower – After exploring round previous town, walk up Marjan Hill for an ideal view overlooking the town. For those who still have time earlier than sundown, climb the bell tower too!
Where to Eat in Cut up:
Go to my Cut up guide for more in-depth information. For sit-down locations, I like to recommend Fife (low cost, fast, conventional meals), Bokeria (fancy food and wine), or Diocletian’s Wine House (pretty environment and wine choice).
An alternative choice can be to get takeaway food/drinks and sit within the peristyle, which has reside music most nights. You will get takeaway snacks from bakeries like Bobis for very low cost, or Toto Burger has great burgers, Mama Burger has burgers and wraps, and M Cafe has numerous takeaway meals. There are a number of grocery shops on the town where you will get a bottle of wine and cups to drink on the steps of the sq. as you eat.
At Night time: I assume you’re very drained, so that you may need to spend this night time in! If not, Gaga Bar has great cocktails, and Charlie’s Bar is a superb backpacker bar. Clubs embrace Bacvice Seashore Membership, Vanilla, Inbox, and Centar. I extremely choose a night out in Hvar though!
If You Have More Time:
If you wish to keep longer in Cut up, you possibly can spend time either doing day trips from Cut up or enjoyable on the seashore. You’ll be able to visit the blue cave of Vis, visit Krka National Park, or more as day trips from Cut up under that are not included on this Balkans Itinerary.
Balkan Itinerary Day 6: Cut up to Zadar
Immediately you’ll be soaking up your final moments in Cut up. Within the morning, I recommend my favourite breakfast at Braserie on 7, which is an outside restaurant on the primary Riva. They’ve a completely scrumptious special iced coffee, and a two tier sweet+savory breakfast that comes with a savory omelette and candy french toast.
Decide up your rental automotive around 11am-noon, and head north to start the true Balkans street journey.
Attending to Zadar from Cut up:
You’ll want to determine prematurely which day you’ll be leaving from Cut up, and reserve a rental automotive. Be sure that the corporate you lease from allows border crossing.We found that the most cost effective Balkans automotive rental is from Sixt, which has an office close to the Previous Town in Cut up (and permits your to cross country borders). Set your vacation spot in Zadar and get on the street!
Fast Ideas for Driving within the Balkans
Visitors laws within the Balkans will not be too troublesome too grasp. They drive on the proper aspect of the street and have comparable streets and freeways to the rest of Europe. Some roads could also be slender. Be sure to have a navigation system (even if offline Google Maps) to guide you in your method, as indicators will obviously be in Croatian.
Where to Keep in Zadar:
Airbnb: We stayed at House Blue Sun Aurora – proper in the midst of city.
Hostel: Downtown Boutique Hostel
Lodge: Bastion Heritage Lodge
What to Do in Zadar
The primary cease is Zadar, a historical historic Roman town a number of hours up the coast.
- Previous City – Zadar has another unimaginable previous town centered round some historic Roman ruins – they aren’t as well-preserved as Cut up, nevertheless! You possibly can take a look at the Roman Forum (in the middle) and study a bit about it, wander by way of many outlets and alleyways, walk on the previous town walls, and check out some scrumptious takeaway food and pastry.
- Museums – After exploring the Previous City, there are a number of museums that could be of curiosity. We visited the Museum of Illusions, which was mild hearted, trippy, and fun. It’s also next to a Museum of Historic Glass in the event you’re into that sort of factor.
- Sea Organ – After walking around and visiting the museums, seize a drink from a market and head to Zadar’s most well-known attraction, the Sea Organ. Situated on the brim of the previous town, the ocean organ was constructed in order that every time the waves from the sea hit totally different sized openings in a platform over the water, they play totally different notes. Find a place to take a seat close to the sound, crack open a drink (you can have alcohol in public right here), and luxuriate in an ideal view of the sunset over distant islands.
- Waterfront/Markets – After the sundown, meander alongside the waterfront in the direction of the restaurant of your selection. Take your time and cease to take a look at artisans selling goods alongside the path, meals distributors, and in addition lost of small market stalls in town.
The place to Eat in Zadar
For a sit-down meal, attempt Bruschetta (scrumptious higher-end restaurant) or Restaurant Kastel. Or, seize takeaway and sit within the energetic major sq. near the forum. There are tons of great gelato locations as properly, which shall be begging you to buy them and eat within the sq. also.
At Night time: There are many cocktail bars and an outside club or two in Zadar. Take a look at Ledana for an outside patio club when you like. You could have an early morning tomorrow, so select correctly!
When you have extra time:
There are some really cool full-day excursions to do in/round Zadar if in case you have another day. Take a look at this kayaking via caves tour to Dugi Otok, or this widespread river canoeing tour.
Plitvice Lakes National Park + Pula Area
Balkans Street Journey Day 7: Zadar to Plitvice Lakes to Istria
Before you allow: At present is an enormous day! You’ll need to have breakfast within the lodging and head back to the automotive quite early – by 8 or 9am. It can take 1.5 to 2 hours to drive to Croatia’s most famous National Park, Plitvice Lakes, from which you will drive to Istria.
Plitvice Lakes is an attractive green national park filled with emerald lakes and prolific waterfalls. There are tons of trails surrounding it. Don’t underestimate it’s measurement, though – it’s very huge and also you’ll have to maneuver fast to see all of it.
Attending to/What to Do in Plitvice Lakes
Have your navigation direct you to one of many two primary entrances to Plitvice Lakes Nationwide Park. Now, you will spend the subsequent few hours exploring certainly one of Croatia’s most lovely and famous nationwide parks, spotting fish in clear blue water, and marveling at waterfalls.
One a part of the park has larger lakes and taller waterfalls, whereas the opposite part has tons of smaller waterfalls above one another. When you enter, the most effective recommendation I may give is to stroll counter-clockwise, which is going to be the other method as most people.
I like to recommend taking the lengthy ferry boat that connects two sides of the park to each other (see map). The road could also be lengthy, nevertheless it’ll prevent a lot of power! Comply with the map route for one of the best self-guided views in Plitvice Lakes Nationwide Park, deliver your digital camera, and prepare for a bit of strolling!
Attending to/What to Do in Pula
You’ll need to shoot to be back on the automotive by about 4pm or earlier, to make the 3 hour drive to Istria. Quite than drive straight to Motovun, which is where you’ll be spending the night time, I like to recommend driving the the capital of Istria, Pula, first. Pula is residence to the second greatest preserved historic Roman Colosseum on the planet (after the precise colosseum) and is a particularly energetic and historic port town.
In the summer months, will probably be bustling even in the event you arrive round 7pm. First, visit the Pula Area (historic colosseum), which might be l it up even at night time. Have a wander around the previous town – the outlets will nonetheless all be open – and then choose somewhere to grab food (sit down or takeaway).
Getting to Motovunm
Finally, after dinner, make the hour drive to Motovun. Ensure you affirm a late arrival with your lodging – around 10-11pm. Discover your bed and crash – it’s been a LONG day!
The place to Keep in Motovun
Airbnb: We stayed in this beautiful villa – outdoors of town next to the Fakin winery (it’s okay to be out of town now you might have a automotive!) or Galerija Motovun
Hostel: None, sorry!
Lodge: Lodge Kastel
If You Have More Time
Stay a night in Pula and discover it more absolutely! You’ll be able to try to Pula Hop on Hop Off bus for a relaxed tour, or a Pula caves + kayaking tour as nicely.
Balkans Street Trip Day Eight: Motovun/Istria
You may need to sleep in as we speak, adventurers, you’ve completed nicely and moved quick up to now for those who’ve followed this Balkans street trip Itinerary exactly. But at the moment we’ve got our first scheduled two-night keep thus far… PHEW!
Once you wake up and look outdoors, certainly you’ll be surprised by the brand new daytime view of the gorgeous countryside you arrived in late final night time. Istria is usually compared to Tuscany, and showcases a very totally different aspect to Croatia than the southern coast.
To study Motovun more in-depth, pink my information under:
What to do in Motovun
As we speak you may be exploring Motovun, a scenic medieval hilltop town recognized for its truffles, wine, and gastronomy.
- Truffle Searching Tour – Some of the distinctive issues to do in Motovun is take part in a truffle searching and tasting tour put on by some famous family-owned truffle corporations. On these you possibly can style local meals and hunt with truffle-hunting canine via dense forest as they sniff out one of many world’s delicacies: truffles. Verify this website or my guide linked above for tours.
- Photographs and Tastings in Previous City – Subsequent, you’ll need to discover the hilltop town. Motovun is the foodie capital of Croatia, and has tons of small outlets that give tastings of olive oil, truffle paste/oil, wine, rakija, and more. Pop into as many as you’ll be able to and perhaps you’ll discover something you just can’t resist!
- Stroll the Partitions – Like many medieval cities, you possibly can stroll the partitions of Motovun for 25kn. Take pleasure in views of the rolling green hills and understand why many people call Istria “the Tuscany of Croatia!”
- Wine Tasting – If in case you have time, there are a couple of wineries in the space. Fakin Winery was proper subsequent to our airbnb and provided tastings via the day.
Where to Eat in Motovun:
I like to recommend a truffle-tactic sit-down meal right here. Every restaurant has many dishes based mostly upon the white and black truffles of the world, and this is really the time to indulge! Fakin Restaurant overlooks the sunset and serves their own truffle and wine – you possibly can’t go flawed!
After Dinner: Grab your favourite bottle of wine, take it again to your accommodation, and chill out!
Predjama Citadel + Ljubljana, Slovenia
Balkans Street Journey Day 9: Motovun to Predjama Citadel to Ljubljana
Before you allow: Take pleasure in a lazy morning in Motovun; I like to recommend having breakfast in your lodging and on the brink of go to Slovenia at your earliest convenience – perhaps Eight or 9.
Getting to Slovenia/Driving in Slovenia:
You’ll drive past some pretty little hilltop cities in your approach into Slovenia. As your rental automotive firm may have hopefully informed you, you’ll have to buy a tourist tax sticker at your earliest comfort when you enter the nation. Driving right here ought to be no totally different than Croatia; simply be sure to have your passports to cross the border and purchase the blue tourist tax emblem once you’re in on the nearest service station.
Foreign money Change: They use the euro in Slovenia. You’ll need to trade euro or get some out before the journey. Montenegro also makes use of euro.
The primary stop in Slovenia shall be an unimaginable citadel constructed into the aspect of a cliff face – Predjama Fort. Driving right here from Motovun ought to take about 1.5 hours, assuming the line at the border isn’t too long. You’ll be able to both admire Predjama from outdoors, or pay a bit additional to go inside. Postojna caves are additionally right subsequent to the citadel, for those who’d like a bit of extra journey before attending to Ljubljana.
What to do in Ljubljana
After visiting the citadel/caves, it is best to arrive in Ljubljana in lower than an hour. In the event you time it nicely, you possibly can arrive into Slovenia’s capital by 1-2pm, supplying you with a free afternoon to discover. When you verify into your accommodation, get out into the town!
- Stroll across the metropolis: marvel on the previous streets + city, visit the three bridges, the primary sq., and extra
- Attempt some espresso at an area cafe – I recommend Cafe Cokl
- Stroll by way of the massive + grassy Tivoli park
- Go to the Nationwide Gallery + Artwork Museum (close to Tivoli Park)
- Walk up to the Ljubljana Fort for sunset.
Surprise! I even have a guide to Ljubljana, Bled, and Bohinj which can go farther in depth than this Balkans Itinerary. Read it under.
The place to Eat in Ljubljana
- Restaurants along the river – these have an awesome view
- Ljubljana Citadel – has a restaurant inside
- Attempt a Horseburger – an unique Slovenian creation, the ‘Horseburger’ is lean and healthy and could be obtained from the quick meals restaurant Scorching Horse.
The place to Keep in Ljubljana
Lake Bohinj from Mt. Vogel Cable Automotive
Balkans Street Trip Day 10: Ljubljana to Lake Bled/Lake Bohinj
Immediately you will do a day trip from Ljubljana to some GORGEOUS lakes within the Slovenian countryside. Most individuals find out about Lake Bled, which is sort of famous, however not Lake Bohinj, which is simply 30 minutes away. The true adventurers can squeeze highlights of each into in the future by following the itinerary under.
Getting From Ljubljana to Lake Bohinj
You’ll begin off by driving to the far finish of Lake Bohinj, which is about 1:15 hours away from the town. Set your navigation to Ukanc, or the Mt. Vogel Cable Automotive.
What to Do in Lake Bohinj
When you arrive at the Mt. Vogel cable automotive, purchase a ticket (they depart each 30 minutes) and journey it to the highest of the mountain. This provides you with an concept of the extent of the Slovenian Alps instantly. You’re in a MASSIVE mountain range recognized for climbing, snow sports, and more!
Mt Vogel is a ski resort in the winter, but a unbelievable view in summer time. You don’t want too long here until you need to hike (for which you’d want additional days). Merely take some photographs of the lake under and marvel at the view of the Julian alps, which can be an enormous surroundings change from the coasts.
Subsequent, drive to the opposite finish of Lake Bohinj (Ribcev Laz) and park. Now, you’ll be able to either have a leisurely stroll around part of the lake, lay within the solar if it’s warm sufficient, or (my personal favourite) lease some kayaks. Many businesses lease kayaks close to the water. Lease some for about an hour, which is simply enough time to paddle to the nearest aspect of the lake and have a swim.
The place to Eat In Bohinj
After some exploring and kayaking, certainly you’ll be hungry… and why not attempt some genuine Slovenian food?! Gostilnica Strudl is as genuine as it will get, and is just in the primary city outdoors of Lake Bohinj. I can’t keep in mind the precise dish names, but be sure that to get the Strudl tasting platter with the bitter milk to dip bread into (belief me), and the noodles with brown sugar and jam for afterwards.
What to Do in Lake Bled
Subsequent, drive 30 minutes to Lake Bled. First, hike to the Ojstrica Viewpoint, supplying you with sweeping views of Lake Bled (about 20-25 minutes). Subsequent, walk along the water and contemplate having one last swim near the pebbly seashore there.
Lastly, drive up to Bled Fort for sunset (we’ve achieved enough bodily exercise at this time!) and enjoy the surroundings. For those who like, make a reservation on the restaurant for a 5 course dinner menu with a view. If not, grab some takeaway food either in Bled, or whenever you get back to Ljubljana! The drive can be about an hour.
If You Have More Time
Slovenia can be a fantastic place to extend your journey for a couple of days. Spend an extra day exploring Ljubljana extra absolutely, and then e-book lodging close to Bled OR Bohinj. You can do a 12okay hike around one aspect of Lake Bohinj, go river rafting in Bled, do an organized tour + boat experience to Bled Lake/Fort, or go canyoning in the Bohinj Valley.
Balkans Street Trip Day 11: Slovenia to Mostar (+ Makarska!)
Right now is our first huge driving day! There’s an option to stop in my one in every of favorite places in Croatia: Makarska. The drive can be 6.5 hours to Mostar without stopping, or 7.5 hours with it (plus nevertheless lengthy you need to spend there – I like to recommend 2 hours).
Getting from Ljubljana to Makarska
Depart by 10ish, or earlier in the event you can. Drive straight to Makarska, which is my favorite Croatian coastal city at the base of Croatia’s tallest rocky mountains. Stop off for a swim, lunch, and perhaps a bit of purchasing!
- Swimming/Cliff Jumping – the most effective place to swim can be instantly throughout from Deep Cave Bar, which is definitely also a very cool cave bar. You possibly can bounce off the cliffs a few minutes down the coast from there as properly.
- Wander Along the 2km Pebbly Seashore + Markets – Makarska has a very lengthy seashore lined with eating places alongside the water and tons of markets. Seize a chew to eat, a takeaway crepe or slushie, wander by means of the markets, or have another swim along the (typically crowded) seashore.
- Water Sports activities – you may as well lease a jet ski or go parasailing in Makarska. When you have time I strongly advocate it!
Getting from Makarska to Mostar
Whenever you’ve had your fill, the drive to Mostar from Makarska is lower than 2 hours. Have your passports out to cross into the third country of your journey!
When you arrive at your accommodation, have your first look around the Previous Town, which utterly lights up at night time. In the event you haven’t already shopped till you drop, take a look at the markets of this previous Turkish city, and marvel at the distinction in feel between the Croatian Coast lower than two hours ago, and now.
I have an entire travel guide to Mostar, too! Click on under for more in-depth information.
Tonight, grab a bit to eat at The Food House – a extra informal and reasonably priced but genuine meals choice proper outdoors the previous town.
The place to Stay in Mostar
Airbnb – The Villa Secret Gardens for greater groups (I stayed right here and liked it) or Downtown Vintage Room for central/smaller
Hostel – Hostel Nina
Lodge – Muslibegovic Home (historic + upscale) or Shangri La Mansion (central)
Balkans Street Trip Day 12: Mostar Sights + Surrounds
Now you’ve a full day to discover Mostar! Get going each time, and head to a few of the sights of the town. Under are the sights I recommend for as we speak; don’t overlook to check out my Mostar Travel Information for more in-depth details about every.
- Kajtaz House – a historical authentic Turkish house
- Previous City and Previous Bridge – obviously! See in case you can catch anyone leaping from it.
- Mosques – Climb to the highest of the Koski Mehmed Pasha Mosque, and revel on the historic Nesuh-Aga Vučjaković Mosque.
- Struggle + Genocide Museum – Study concerning the atrocities of the Yugoslav Warfare in Bosnia
- Bosnian Espresso – Attempt one from Cafe de Alma
Sooner or later, get a takeaway lunch (attempt the cevapi!) and go right down to the sq. under the previous bridge and see in the event you catch anyone jumping. Head again to the automotive round Four-5pm for a slight street journey to Blagaj Springs 15 minutes away.
- Blagaj Springs – Blagaj is the supply of the Buna River and the deepest spring in Europe. It’s house to a historic Dervish home, which is a branch of Islam. First, go to the ‘Vrelo Bune’ viewpoint throughout from Dervish Home for some nice photographs. Then head inside the house! You’ll should cowl as much as go inside this traditional place of worship, however they’ve scarves for you.
Once you’ve had your fill of views and extra markets, head again to Mostar. This evening it’s time to buy at the markets for any remaining souvenirs, and have a fancier and bona fide Bosnian dinner at Šadrvan. This restaurant is among the greatest recognized, and has great tasting platters the place you’ll be able to attempt quite a lot of delicacies.
At Night time: Take a look at the Black Canine Pub – see if they’ve stay music on (they often do) and check out some native beers or totally different flavors of rakija. If you want to keeo going into the night time, Ali Baba membership is the best way to go – situated inside a cave subsequent to the Previous Bridge!
If You Have More Time
You may undoubtedly spend longer in Bosnia + Herzegovina. We contact on the primary sights of Mostar on this Balkans street journey itinerary, but when you have extra time, you possibly can spend a pair days in Bosnia’s capital, Sarajevo. Sarajevo is even more heavily Turkish than Mostar, with a heavier struggle historical past, too.
Mosques ring out by means of the hills in a call to prayer all through the town every few hours, putting the soukhs in a quick pause from their ordinary activity. There are great viewpoints wanting over the town, fascinating ruins, and wealthy history.
Balkans Street Journey Day 13: Bosnian Highlights to Kotor, Montenegro
Earlier than You Depart Mostar: Have a leisurely morning – no need to go away earlier than 10/11 as we speak. Put in your swim go well with for a quick cease at some beautiful waterfalls (and a fort) on the best way overseas and into Montenegro.
Mostar to Kravice Waterfalls and Počitelj Fort
It is going to take you less than an hour to drive from Mostar to the region of two more famous viewpoints of the area: Kravice Waterfalls and Počitelj Citadel. Cease first at Kravice Falls. Spend an hour or two swimming in the chilly water and exploring the beautiful waterfall techniques and rock swimming pools. Read my guide to visiting Kravice waterfalls under for more info:
After your swim, get changed and drive 10 minutes to the spectacular hillside fortress of Počitelj. This was a Hungarian fort before the world was beneath Ottoman rule, and now it’s an previous walled town up a hill with a couple of great lookout factors.
One aspect is all executed up and preserved with glass, but the remaining are extra genuine ruins crumbling on the edges. You possibly can climb some previous winding stairs in one of the fortresses to see a tremendous view of the river and countryside.
You’ll notice hundreds of thousands of pomegranate timber within the city – this space is understood for them! Previous women can be promoting selfmade juices of pomegranate, elderflower, and rose, and little cones filled with recent nuts and dried fruit. You should purchase plenty of recent fruit right here also – it’s very low cost and scrumptious!
Počitelj to Kotor, Montenegro
After Pocitelj, it’s time to go into Montenegro. This border typically takes a short while, and you should be sure to have your automotive registration (and passports in fact) prepared to point out at the border.
It ought to be about 3 hours from Pocitelj to Kotor, not counting any ready time at the border. You will in all probability find yourself arriving in the late afternoon/evening, supplying you with time to verify into your accommodation and wander into city for dinner.
The place to Keep in Kotor
Airbnb: We stayed in this one – a few 10 minute walk from city. Attempt Condominium Karampana for smaller/extra central.
Hostel: Previous Town Hostel West Wing – one in every of my favorites
Lodge: Boutique Lodge Astoria
What to Do in Kotor
It is perhaps late whenever you get in at this time, so simply walk into the previous walled city (are you uninterested in them but?! 😛 ) and have a bit of an explore and dinner before retiring for the night time.
Balkans Street Trip Day 14: Discover Kotor
In the present day you could have a full day to discover Kotor!
What to Do in Kotor
- Discover Previous City: Marvel at the previous Venetian gates, get misplaced in the unimaginable streets of previous city, discover the outlets, enter previous church buildings, stroll the partitions, drink coffee in the alleyways, and so forth.
- Cat Museum + Cat Present Store (and all the precise cats!) – Kotor is understood for having TONS of stray cats – a lot that they have created a whole cat present outlets and museum!
- Swimming – There is a small seashore to swim outdoors of city (although it’s not the nicest of this balkans street journey itinerary)
A few hours earlier than sundown, hike up to the fortress! You’ll notice that the walls of the previous town truly zigzag all the best way up the rocky cliffside and hook up with the fortress to make one continuous walled town. It’s pretty impressive, and the view from the top is even more so. The Bay of Kotor is actually a sight to behold, with the distant boats and dramatic mountains jutting out from the water.
There’s an choice to hike even larger, to farther mountaintops that current a good better (if that’s even potential) view. I did this once a number of years back. If you want to hike greater, I like to recommend doing the hike in the morning and exploring the town in the evening.
The place to Eat in Kotor
After the hike, it’s time to get your tired self some meals. Some prime rated restaurants are Galion and Tanjga. We went to Restaurant city (on google maps as ‘grad’) on my most up-to-date trip, and it was fairly good and very central.
If You Have More Time
You are able to do greater hikes or sailing journeys across the mountains and Bay of Kotor. Nevertheless, I recommend spending extra time exploring the rest of Montenegro… so hold reading!
Balkans Street Trip Day 15: Montenegro Street Journey to Budva
For this a part of the Balkans street journey, I’m going to offer you a pair options. When you have more time, you’ll be able to comply with my complete Montenegro street trip route linked under (will take 2+ days).
Should you solely have in the future, you possibly can comply with the stops under. Either approach, your street trip will begin in Kotor and finish in Budva, so convey your stuff and get started early! Budva is one other (you guessed it) walled coastal town. It’s larger and extra vigorous than Kotor, and also you’ll have a full day here after your street trip to chill out and take in the epicness of your Balkans journey.
One-Day Shorter Montenegro Street Journey Route (See publish above for timings + extra information)
- Slansko Lakes – stop for a photograph as you drive
- Ostrog Monastery (+ mountains views alongside the best way) – this can be a well-known monastery constructed into the aspect of a tall mountain. It’s a picturesque Montenegrin icon, and the views on the best way there are equally beautiful as nicely.
- Podgorica/Niksic – These are two principal Montenegrin cities/capital that you could drive by way of on your means via the countryside.
- Pavlova Strana Viewpoint in Skadar Lake Nationwide Park – This can be a famous 180 diploma river bend on the outskirts of Lake Skadar National Park, on the border or Albania. The roads might be a bit sketchy, but the view is value it!
- Lovcen National Park – weave your method to a mountaintop mausoleum in the beautiful rocky Lovcen National Park. Prepare for picturesque views and a creepy but fascinating mausoleum for an previous chief.
- Sveti Stefan – After making your means again to the coast, make one ultimate detour to a famous island. Sveti Stefan is related to the coast by a thin bridge, and is house to a VERY fancy lodge. Don’t get any ideas about strolling onto the island itself (until you’re very rich), however it’s a unbelievable photograph op and swimming spot.
Now – head to the final stop of your Balkans street trip – Budva, Montenegro!
Where t0 Keep in Budva
The place to Eat in Budva
If You Have More Time
Spend as much as a whole week on you the Montenegro Street Journey. Click on right here to learn my submit about canyoning, river rafting, zip lining, climbing, alpine lakes, scenic overpasses, and more superb issues you are able to do in Montenegro once you stray from the coast.
Balkans Street Trip Day 16: Budva
Budva is definitely value a number of days time – it’s a much greater city than Kotor and is the place younger and previous come at night time time to wander the busy previous city streets, take heed to stay music, and go clubbing.
What to Do in Budva
Hopefully you aren’t uninterested in exploring previous towns, as a result of you might have one last one to discover! At present, you’ll be able to:
- Wander by way of previous town – get lost within the alleyways, flick through outlets, discover out what makes Montenegro totally different than the opposite nations you’ve seen
- Museums – Take a look at the Maritime Museum, Metropolis Museum, and a few artwork galleries
- Statua Ballerina – take a look at the ballerina statue up the coast from the city
- Sveti Stefan – You can too do Sveti Stefan immediately (quite than yesterday) to spend more time there. You might even loosen up on the seashore all day! It’s nice for a morning or sunset swim.
- Previous City Seashore – when you’re just exhausted and may’t do anything – plop down onto a seashore chair on the seashore outdoors previous city, and don’t move ALL day. That’s wonderful too!
After the solar units, select a spot from the listing above to have a last meal from your Balkans street trip. I’d recommend testing what’s on within the city, too. It’s all the time bustling at night time in the summer months with road festivals, open air clubs, and more. Soak within the remaining moments of an unimaginable trip – you’ve earned it!
Balkans Street Trip Day 17: Again to Dubrovnik
Properly, now it’s time to drive to Dubrovnik and return your rental automotive… unhappy face. BUT FIRST – we will squeeze in one remaining cease, depending on the time of your flight (or in case you are spending your last night time in Dubrovnik like we did). For those who missed out on Cavtat throughout your first bout in Dubrovnik… you’ll be able to visit on the best way back at this time!
Even when only for a espresso and a break from driving, pull a few minutes off the primary street to take in the previous few moments of Croatian solar.
Subsequent, return your rental automotive at Sixt. They have a location close to Lodge Rexos and at the airport. In case you’re staying the night time, return it near the lodge. Ideally, stay there or close by. In the event you’re flying out, return it at the airport and be on your method!
If in case you have a night, spend your final afternoon enjoyable and having yet one more swim at Bellevue seashore, and have a final dinner in port Gruz. Catch a taxi to the airport within the morning, and there you’re achieved and dusted!
Made all of it the best way to the top?! Don’t overlook to PIN me!