This Greece packing record has it all. It’s a full breakdown of every little thing you ought to be packing for a visit to Greece, tailor-made particularly for the climate, culture, and actions you’ll find in Greece. I spent the final month touring everywhere in the nation, hitting up idyllic Greek islands, Athens, and UNESCO world heritage websites on the mainland. I’ve refined this Greece packing record based mostly on my experience on the street so you possibly can pack as mild as attainable and still be utterly prepared for this lovely, sun-drenched nation.
Most people travel to Greece between June and September, when every thing is open on the islands. This Greece packing record assumes you’ll be getting in that time frame.
Backpack or rolling luggage?
Do you have to convey rolling baggage or a backpack for Greece? No question, deliver a backpack. Simply put – cobblestones and steps. Plenty of them. There wasn’t a single metropolis, island, or city I traveled to that was rolling luggage-friendly.
I used to be SO glad I introduced my climbing pack. I own and highly advocate this pack for ladies or this one for men (my husband has it). They are giant enough for long backpacking trips, however can compress right down to be very flat for shorter journeys too. This helped distribute the load throughout the whole peak of the pack so my again and shoulders have been never sore. I additionally love the again air channels that maintain me from getting sweaty, a serious plus in Greece the place the sun is so intense.
Nevertheless, I feel my favourite function of those two packs is the alternative ways to entry stuff. There’s a prime drawstring for top-loading, a big J-panel zipper opening within the entrance (I used this opening probably the most) and a separate bottom sleeping bag compartment. This principally makes the pack as straightforward to make use of as a daily suitcase, if not simpler. I put my toiletries within the sleeping bag compartment for straightforward access, my garments within the middle part, and miscellaneous stuff toward the highest. I had an ideal system going and never had to unpack my stuff, I simply pulled out what I wanted. Whenever you’re changing beds every 3 days, that’s a serious time-saver.
On your carry-on bag, both convey a smaller backpack, messenger bag, or a tote bag. I favor to make use of a small backpack once I’m bringing my larger backpack so I can put on the smaller one on my entrance. I exploit a backpack that I’ve had for over 12 years, nevertheless it seems to be like the design has hardly modified! Mine still seems to be new and doesn’t present any signs of wear and tear, so I’d say it’s been a reasonably strong purchase.
No matter you deliver, it should fit your valuables (laptop + digital camera gear for me) and something you’ll want in your aircraft, bus, or ferry journeys. This might also double as your day bag for spending a day sightseeing or going to the seashore.
If you need one thing lighter on your day bag, this folding tote bag will get good critiques, holds as much as 50 lb, is washable, and folds right into a tiny zippered pouch.
What to Put on in Greece
Packing clothes for Greece is fairly easy. For ladies, deliver numerous sun clothes, shorts, skirts, tanks and bikinis. For guys, deliver light-weight short-sleeve tees and button-downs, shorts, and swim trunks.
Mild colors will hold you cooler than darkish ones, especially on the Greek islands where all the white buildings and the water mirror the sunlight. I sometimes pack the same amount whether or not I’m traveling for every week or a month, and just plan on performing some laundry in between. Listed here are some examples for a way much of each item to convey. (Guys, just substitute the skirts and clothes with an additional couple pair of shorts and some more button-downs).
- Clothes – 3 – Convey a couple of totally different lengths so you could have options. Solar clothes that double as swim cowl ups or that can be dressed up with some jewelry are good.
- Shorts – 2
- Skirts – 2 – A couple totally different lengths.
- Tanks – 4 – Choose tanks that blend and match together with your skirts and shorts easily.
- Shirts – 2 – Ditto.
- Light-weight sweater or sweatshirt – 1 – Wear it on the aircraft.
- Pj/lounge tops – 2 – Greece-themed tanks, anyone?
- Pj/lounge shorts – 1
- Compression socks – To assist scale back your danger of blood clots on those long aircraft journeys. After testing constructive for Issue V Leiden, which is a mutation that increases my danger for getting a blood clot, I wear these every time I fly. You’ll be able to even put them on once you’re on the aircraft in the event you’re sporting sandals and don’t need to look ridiculous at the airport.
- Underwear – 7 – Since they’re small, I wouldn’t blame you for bringing even more. Laundry day can sneak up quick…
- Bras/bralettes – three
- Bikinis/swim trunks– 2
Footwear and Accessories
Accessories are what is going to make your minimalist journey wardrobe actually be just right for you. There’s plenty of cute jewellery in Greece, however it can be sort of expensive relying on where you look. I introduced a couple pairs of earrings from residence that I knew would go properly with all of my outfits and one long necklace for dressier nights.
- Athletic sandals – One thing like these (ladies) or these (males) can be nice as a result of they don’t truly appear to be an athletic sandal. They still supply stability with an ankle strap and have an excellent sole that you could stroll in for a long time over rocky or slippery terrain. In case you’re uncomfortable swimming in rocky areas with out something in your ft, then ensure that to convey one thing waterproof. I didn’t fear about it and my bare ft have been advantageous while swimming.
- Good-looking walking around sandals – I simply received this pair and LOVE them as a result of they make my large ft truly look engaging. I love these too, they’re extremely snug and tremendous cute with the two-toned silver and white straps! They’d each be good for Greece.
- Earrings – 2 or three – be sure to have this stuff to keep them from falling out on windy days or in the water. I purchased a bag of 100 and now all my earrings have these rubber backs so I gained’t lose another earring ever once more.
- Necklaces – 1 or 2 – To dress up an outfit for evening.
- Small purse or clutch – Must be packable.
- Day bag – If your carry-on bag is just too cumbersome, deliver a compressible tote or packable backpack for seashore or day outings.
- Travel towel for seashores/swimming – Most beaches gained’t have towels to lease. These towels take up 8x their weight in water, may be wrung out to 90% dry, and finish air drying tremendous fast. They take up virtually no room at all in your pack. I just upgraded to this measurement after having the smaller one.
- Sunglasses – In case you have polarized sunglasses, convey ’em! You’ll recognize the lowered glare from all that sunlight reflected off the Aegean sea and whitewashed houses.
- Plastic luggage – For separating footwear or soiled laundry from your clean garments.
Money and Essential Paperwork
These are the essentials that may allow you to get round and stay out of hassle if one thing goes fallacious. These things are non-negotiable, must-haves when packing for Greece (or anyplace overseas, actually).
- Pockets – My wallet doubles as a clutch, which is good for additional versatility when traveling.
- Bank card – Visa or Mastercard, chip enabled, and ensure you name to set your pin number before you go.
- Debit card – Cash shall be your important type of cost in Greece so don’t rely on using your bank card, even for lodge payments. Your debit card is your key to getting the most effective trade fee for overseas foreign money just about anyplace on the planet. Don’t hassle with banks, change counters, or travelers checks. Just deliver your debit card (be sure to know your pin quantity), notify your bank that you are touring, and withdraw money from any of the ATMs in Greece. As a foreigner you gained’t have any hassle with withdrawal limits (as much as whatever your personal financial institution has set) as a result of the ATM withdrawal limits that have been imposed a while back are only for individuals with Greek bank accounts. Most islands had plenty of ATMs with plenty of money, as did Athens and different cities on mainland Greece. Replenish on cash for those who’re going to a extra distant or less touristy place in case ATMs are scarce.
- Drivers license
- Medical insurance card – Although your medical insurance often doesn’t work abroad (that is why you must get travel insurance, under) it’s sensible to all the time have this on you whether or not your abroad or at house.
- Journey insurance – I by no means travel outdoors the nation with out travel insurance coverage. The international medical insurance alone is a cause to get it, nevertheless it additionally offers peace of thoughts figuring out that I might be reimbursed in case of misplaced luggage or different journey disasters. I all the time improve to the very best degree plan so all of my gear is roofed in case of theft. World Nomads make it super straightforward to get a plan, and their charges are reasonably priced.
- Immunization yellow guide – You gained’t need any special immunizations for Greece past the standard for the US and Europe. I all the time travel with my immunization report in case I wind up in the hospital and someone asks.
- Automotive rental insurance coverage – This isn’t one thing you pack, however it’s value mentioning. When you’ve got a bank card that features rental automotive collision and injury insurance coverage, you need to pay in your rental automotive utilizing that bank card. I can refer you to a number of of my favourite journey credit cards that embrace this function, just shoot me an e-mail.
- International driving permit (if you’ll be driving) – When you’ve got a US drivers license, you will have a supplemental worldwide driving permit so as to drive legally in Europe. It’s straightforward sufficient to get and only $20. Find places and necessities to get your worldwide driving permit here.
- Confirmations – Nowadays most flight, lodge, and travel confirmations are stored in our phones. Be sure to can access them even in the event you don’t have internet access. Also, ensure to print your ferry confirmations for any bought prematurely. You’ll want them to get your actual tickets from the workplace.
Miscellaneous Gadgets in my Backpack
These are the random essentials I brought with me on the aircraft in my carry-on backpack. What essentials do you convey for long aircraft journeys?
- Notebook – I converted to taking notes on my telephone with Microsoft OneNote (omg I adore it, it’s so organized, it syncs with all my units, and my notebooks are accessible from anyplace) but typically that uses up means an excessive amount of battery and I have to resort to the quaint paper and pen strategy. I brought this enjoyable travel-inspired pocket notebook for some nostalgic pen and paper time.
- Travel pillow – I really like my Wrap-a-Nap! I can nap anyplace! Full disclosure, I do know the guy who invented this. It’s the one travel pillow I’ve ever truly favored.
- Water bottle
- Change of clothes – Clean underwear and perhaps a t shirt – simply in case your baggage will get lost.
- Guidebooks – I really like reading guidebooks on the aircraft! It will get me excited concerning the journey, and I like to spotlight eating places and activities that sound enjoyable. I introduced Rick Steves Greece and Lonely Planet Greece. I favored Rick Steves higher for suggestions and useful descriptions of locations, however it doesn’t cover in all places I went, so Lonely Planet picked up the slack. For some places like Folegandros, although, even Lonely planet solely had a pair pages of generic information. Then again, I’m sort of biased towards Lonely Planet. I find their descriptions all sound the same should you read the whole e-book.
Professional tip: don’t deliver the entire guidebook, just rip out the chapters you need and staple the pages. You then solely want to hold around one chapter at a time in your purse and you gained’t look a lot like a tourist.
- Phrasebook – This is often included in most guidebooks, so simply rip this part out and carry it with you. Or, better but, obtain an app in your telephone.
I’m additionally a photographer, and promote a few of the pictures from my travels. Some of this gear will most probably be overkill for you, however I needed to incorporate it in case there have been different shutterbugs studying.
- Digital camera – I’ve discovered my images soulmate, you guys. It’s my Sony a7 mirrorless, full frame, 24MP, tremendous attractive digital camera. I like it, I adore it, I like it! Perhaps the images purists will snub my trendy mirrorless machine in favor of their huge and hulking DSLR’s, however they will go ahead. I’ll simply be over here touring the world with my light-weight digital camera that pumps out equally good photographs, even in low mild. Did I point out it has a weather-sealed physique so I didn’t have to worry about sea spray or sand blown up by the wind whereas in Greece? Yeah.
- Lenses – I brought my 28-70mm F3.5 lens that got here with the digital camera. Typically package lenses suck but this one is actually fairly good. You’ll all the time get sharper photographs with a major lens, however I like having a zoom for journey because it’s so much more versatile. I also introduced my wide-angle 16-35mm F4 lens, which is principally probably the most lovely and costly piece of glass I’ve ever owned.
- Additional batteries and charger – I received these spare batteries on Amazon they usually work nice. I sometimes go via 1 battery/day with plenty of use. I all the time brought a totally charged spare with me in my purse or backpack (except that one time I forgot).
- Travel tripod – This great little journey tripod may be tossed in a backpack, set on a ledge, or wrapped round a tree branch. It’s just a little too small to use with my wide-angle lens (it’ll tip over until I prop the legs at an angle), however works nice with the 28-70mm.
- Microfiber cloths – Plenty of them! I had one in every bag and used them always, wiping sea spray and mud off the glass.
- Lens wipes – For when issues get really soiled.
- Additional SD cards – I shot 80GB of photographs in Greece so additional SD cards have been a MUST so I didn’t should undergo and continuously delete things.
- Filters – I all the time maintain an affordable UV filter on my lenses (mainly to protect the lens glass) however I additionally journey with ND filters. I exploit these for landscape photographs if I need to capture motion of water or clouds. ND filters scale back the quantity of sunshine hitting the sensor, permitting using a longer exposure.
- Padded insert for digital camera and gear – Slightly than having a type of tremendous obvious digital camera luggage that advertise to the world “expensive camera equipment here!!!” I simply use my regular backpack and slip one in every of these inserts inside to keep my gear protected.
Electronics and Gear
I’ll be the first to admit, I carry lots of electronics with me once I travel. With images and running a blog, I’m all the time toting some type of system around with me, and often 2 or 3. Since portability and performance are each super necessary to me relating to electronics, I’ve filtered via quite a number of products before finding the comfortable combo I have now. Right here’s what works for me:
- Telephone – I have the iPhone 5s (I know, time for an upgrade already) however what can I say? It nonetheless works great, hasn’t cracked, and a charge nonetheless lasts a full day.
- Power bank – I’ve this one. It’s great for in a single day aircraft journeys, lengthy ferry rides, or these occasions once you overlook to charge your telephone. Holds enough juice to cost my telephone 3 occasions.
- Laptop – Ever since my Asus laptop computer broke in two items and I used to be pressured to buy a brand new one, I’ve been falling in love with my new Lenovo Yoga 900. I’ll do a evaluation once I’ve given it a fair check run.
- Dry bag – Dry luggage are good for holding your stuff protected and dry once you’re on boats, canoeing and kayaking, or climbing via wet circumstances. I normally use this for canoe journeys in the Boundary Waters, however I introduced it to Greece and was so glad I had it. For seashore days or days out on the water, I carried my digital camera in my dry bag, and it gave me peace of mind figuring out it wouldn’t be by accident soaked.
- Pacsafe travel protected – This is one of the best invention for vacationers carrying round expensive electronics or anything priceless. It’s a versatile, moveable protected which you can safe to a hard and fast object in your lodge room just like the mattress or a pipe. Just one out of the 11 locations I stayed at truly offered a protected within the room so I was glad I brought it. Plus you possibly can never actually trust these lodge safes anyhow. Positive, if a real thief actually needed to take your stuff, they might deliver the right tools and reduce the Pacsafe cable, however sometimes lodge thefts are crimes of convenience. I’ve traveled with it several occasions now, and I completely swear by it.
- Headphones – Preferably noise canceling, for flights and loud ferries. I can’t advocate a specific pair since I’m too low cost to buy good ones, and I can’t find a low cost pair I like. Anyone have strategies for someone with small ears?
- Exhausting drive – I travel with my digital camera and laptop in my smaller backpack that I all the time hold with me. I by no means store it beneath a bus or within the trunk of a taxi, so there’s little danger of dropping my valuables. However, if something have been to happen, I might be heartbroken to lose my photographs. For that purpose, I all the time journey with this moveable exterior exhausting drive, and I back up ALL of my photographs the night time before a journey day. The arduous drive goes in my other pack, so if the worst occurs and I lose my valuables, I’ll still have the backup.
- Worldwide outlet adaptor – I maintain it simple and just pack this universal adaptor that works for almost each nation on the planet. I don’t hassle with voltage converters because most electronics chargers lately settle for 100-240V.
The fundamentals, plus a number of very crucial gadgets to fight the sun and sea! Guys, you in all probability don’t have to convey the final 2 gadgets. 😉
- Sunscreen – Deliver plenty of sunscreen! Critically, at the very least one three ouncestube of SPF 30 or greater per individual per week of travel. Apply liberally and sometimes until you need to appear to be a lobster on day 2. I noticed so many horrible burns. Additionally, don’t plan on replenishing while in Greece. On some islands, the sale of sunscreen is restricted to only one store and simply 200ml (6.8 oz) of sunscreen will set you back over 18 euro (about $20).
- Shampoo – I’ve gone on about how a lot I really like Lush’s strong shampoo bars for journey. Properly, I nonetheless love ’em. No extra messy liquids for me! Leaping Juniper is my favorite.
- Conditioner – Usually not offered in motels in Greece.
- Cleaning soap – That is the one thing you’ll be able to rely on being offered for a lot of lodges. Some will even provide shampoo but don’t assume they’ll. I stayed in some Airbnb’s, which frequently don’t provide this, so I just brought my very own. (Click to get a $30 journey credit score towards your first stick with Airbnb).
- Lotion – One thing with aloe vera to appease your skin after the sun can be splendid. I went via my travel-sized bottle very quickly and had to buy more.
- Face moisturizer – Solar, salt, and wind will dry out your skin fairly quick.
- Laundry detergent – Journey measurement is ok for journeys around 2 weeks. I hand-washed my garments several occasions over the month that I was in Greece. Doing your personal laundry is straightforward there as a result of every thing dries so quick out in the sun.
- Razor and shaving cream
- Nail clipper
- Hair binders, if in case you have long hair
- Contacts, case, answer, and additional contacts – When you wear them.
- Glasses – In case you wear them.
- Ear plugs – For those who’re a light-weight sleeper.
- Hair brush
- Moleskin – These things works miracles on blisters.
- Q ideas
- Plastic luggage – To include liquids in case they leak.
- Sea sickness meds – In case you’ll be taking ferries, seize some over-the-counter sea-sickness meds or sea-bands simply in case. These work great for preventing sea-sickness and nausea – more essential than you’d assume on some ferries.
- Face wipes/face wash
- Tampons – Or whatever you employ. I still don’t perceive the diva cup craze.
That’s it! I hope this Greece packing listing has been fun and useful! Perhaps you’re on the brink of pack on your trip or perhaps you’re just starting to think about Greece as a journey destination. Both method, I’m here to help, so ask your questions in the comments!
What would your Greece packing record appear to be?